Pitch floating at universities

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Wed Mar 28 17:17 MST 2001

Michael, Roger:

At the University of Redlands, if the pianos are at A-440 in May, they could
be at A443 or A444 in late August.  If I tune them at A440 in
August/September, they will drop to A437/8 when we have our first dry weather
system, and keep dropping over the winter.  Since the contract severely
limits the frequency of tuning rounds, I target a two cycle range, A440-442,
and except for the performing instruments I only drop the pianos to A442.  I
never know when the first dry weather system is going to strike - it could
happen anytime between September and January.   Several times I have
completed the tuning rounds and immediately the humidity dropped 40% or more,
destroying my work.  If I only drop pitch to A442, the pianos will only drop
to A439/440 after the weather shift - they might be ugly, but not too flat.

In a contract tech situation where there are strong weather influences on
pitch, I think a two cycle range gives the most pitch control.  I would
rather be able to tune more often and keep the pitch within Roger's one cycle
range of A440/1.

Bill Shull, RPT
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

In a message dated 3/28/01 9:13:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,