pitch

Sambell, Ted Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.CA
Fri Mar 30 15:59 MST 2001

Hello Denis!

Having read your post today (very valuable information) I am motivated to
get in touch with you; it is long overdue that I should do so, especially as
it is my last day here  at the Banff Centre, though I am coming back on an
ad hoc basis. In fact, April is already filled up wth other work
including a wierd commission to design and build a damper mechanism for a
santur (Iranian dulcimer) for one of the musicians here.
I have just installed a set of hammers in a Yamaha C7, one of the older ones
with a 23 note bass, and used your spreadsheet program for the boring
angles. It worked perfectly for me, except that the angles on this piano
change from note 88 individually all the way down to the tenor break. I used
the tenor page for the treble angles and put them on a separate sheet. You
might consider an extra page for the treble (section(s)), or extend the
angles for all the sections other than the bass.I finally made a new brass
disc for the boring jig too, and fine adjusted the jig so that it bores on
axis. It works superbly at last, and is a real joy to use. I am thinking of
writing for the journal on hammers, and wonder if I could persuade you to
collaborate for a joint effort, especially on the calculating of the angles.

Last weekend I went to the PNW Conference; instructed two classes twice and
had a great time. Many of your old friends asked after you, so you are not
forgotten.

I trust you, Estelle and the children are all well and hope to hear from
you,

Fondest regards, Ted-----Original Message-----