historical temperaments

Harpsichord Services harpsichord.services@btinternet.com
Sun May 20 12:08 MDT 2001

Dear List,
Ken Eschete of Northwestern University asked me to reply to a message on
your list from
Lawrence Becker, University of Cincinnati.  I fear I am too late to help
with his concert, but perhaps I can steer you folks to some good sources
for those times when you would like to know more about historical
temperaments.  I spend my days and evenings tuning harpsichords, chamber
organs and fortepianos (before 1830) for concerts, recordings and in
homes.  Generally the musician has some idea of the temperament they
seek, but you must then find one that will work with the keys they will
be playing during the concert.  They rarely think of this when planning
the concert so you will be limited on the day. Some instruments,
particularly Baroque flutes, function better with some temperaments.
But only the top level of players are 'tuned in' to this and they will
know where their sharps and flats differ from equal temperament.

I have found some very useful web sites and I think you will find most
of your questions answered after you have read through them.  Enjoy!
Cheers,
Claire Hammett
http://www.harpsichord.services.btinternet.co.uk/
London England

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/temper.html

http://www.rdrop.com/users/tblackb/music/temperament/#analysis

http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/tmprment.html

http://www.globetrotter.net/gt/usagers/roule/temper.htm
http://www.globetrotter.net/gt/usagers/roule/accord.htm

http://galifrey.triode.net.au/Music/Theory/tuningMM3/tuning.html

http://www.harmonics.com/lucy/

http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/

ftp://ella.mills.edu/ccm/tuning/papers/bib.html

http://www.mozartpiano.com/pitch.html