Appropriate Historical Temperaments

Geoffrey Pollard gpollard@greenway.usyd.edu.au
Mon May 28 03:32 MDT 2001

Avery,

As mentioned, these figures come from a book on organ tuning. I guess
that inharmonicity is not as relevant when dealing with the harmonics
of columns of air as it is with music wire. These figures are
published in the book in a table showing that the A-Bb semitone is
107 cents wide; the A-B major second is 194 cents wide, A-C minor
third is 309 cents and so forth.

I have a setting on my machine which will give me 100 cent semitones
, without any stretch  ie.  the A's are 110, 220, 440 cps. etc. I
tune the centre octave, adding or subtracting the figures below and
then tune the rest of the piano by ear. I would say that it would
work just about the same over the top of your harpsichord tuning. Of
course, if you tune the whole piano with a SAT, then I suppose you
would have to 'layer' these offsets over a stretch pattern
appropriate to the instrument.

Geoffrey Pollard