Piano Breaks in Yo-Yo Ma Concert

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 28 09:49 MDT 2001

Hi John,

After reading a description of the problem in another article about
this, it seems that, according to the author, a jack tender became
unglued and the hammer was blocking on the string. After what was
probably a judicious application of superglue to the parts, the
concert continued and the "piano doctor/repair expert was the hero
(for once).

Tom

>I wonder who they get to write these articles. Kind of makes me wonder what
>the real problem was.
>I have done a few last minute repairs with the crowd in the house, but in the
>middle of the concert with applause following, must have been a rush for the
>tech.
>
>John Stroup
>

>Piano Breaks in Yo-Yo Ma Concert
>
>.c The Associated Press
>

>LOS ANGELES (AP) - Luckily for Yo-Yo Ma, there was a doctor in the house.
>
>A concert featuring the cellist had an unexpected delay when a 9-foot
>Steinway piano broke in the middle of Beethoven's Triple Concerto.
>
>Although Ma waved his handkerchief inside the piano in an attempt to rouse
>the ailing instrument, it took a piano doctor waiting in the wings to set
>things straight.
>
>As the repair expert hustled on stage Thursday to fix the concert grand
>piano, Ma and other musicians entertained the giggling crowd of 1,800 at the
>University of California, Los Angeles.
>
>In less than 10 minutes, a tiny platform that holds the keystroking levers
>was fixed, and the show went on to the applause of the audience, some of whom
>had paid $500 for their seats.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched