Piano technology class

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon May 28 13:45 MDT 2001

Richard writes:

<<... I have been asked by our University to plan and put forward a course to
cover one semester...perhaps eventually one whole school year. The course is
thought of as sort of a combination "Intro to Piano technology" and
"Everything a
Pianist should know about their instrument".>>

  Great,  however, "Everything a Pianist should know about their instrument"
will take several years, so the immediate problem is "how much, and how
fast". Getting a solid grounding on the tuning and sound is, imho, best kept
separate from the mechanical instrument, but that is difficult.

 >>If you have an outline for a whole
class I would love to take a good look at it for ideas.  <<

OK,  I will post the final test and the first several class outlines, but you
will want to fit things to yourself and your own teaching style, etc.

>>You will be in Reno this year wont you ?.. if so I hope we can converse on
this
subject a bit... if time permits.>>

Yes,  I will be there, my classes are on Thursday p.m. and Saturday a.m.
Thanks for the note,
Ed

First class, (0utline)
   Class 1

Introduction to course
       discription of intended goals
    becoming familiar the function, construction, and care
    to develop a diagnostic "touch"
analysis of action reglation
becoming able to tune a clear unison
learning to listen critically
    recognition of coincidence in interval
    unison quality
how to critique a piano tuning
Explanation of testing

final will be combination of practical and written
written covers theory and  knowledge of instrument
practical will require "feel" and "ear"

 Nomenclature
Grand case parts
upright case parts

Sizes and classification of Grand pianos

Vertical pianos
spinet
console
upright

case construction
difference in grand and upright construction
framing and  joints
composite materials

double rim
traditional
maple ply

Action removal must be learned early, as it will be a skill used throughout
the course and, without instruction, entails some peril to the instruments,
and students

There are several cautions concerning the action and tuning that, when
learned, will allow students to investigate the pianos on their own.  ( I
hope to see a heightened sense of instrument care as a result).

Class #3
class 3

 pin blocks/tuning pins**(critical)**
    block function
    tuning ability
        entrainment of the signal
        role of attachment to case
Maple for end grain,
     falcon wood/delignite
    Mason & Hamlin Screw stringer
    fit against the flange
tuning pins
    sizes, colors
    Pin torque
    how obtained
    what to do for loose pins
        what not to do for loose pins
Jumping pins
    what that means to the user
    what can be done about them

plates
    material
        cast iron
            combination rigidity and machineablity
    purpose
        resist compression
role of the framing and case
    plane of resistance
        nose-bolts
    rim bolt  tightening
string terminations
    agraffes
    capo bars
    bass pins
    bridge pins
        need for seating at periodic intervals
    aliquot tuning
accu-just hitch pins
hazards
     broken plates
      how breaks can happen
      repair or lack of

Piano Technology Final Exam
Final exam will account for 50% of the total grade

1. PINBLOCKS
    a. explain the construction and purpose of a pinblock
    b. why does the pinblock age?
    c.  what are three effective repairs for loose tuning pins?
2.  What is the difference between hammer felt and damper felt?
3.  List the first seven intervals of the harmonic series.
4.  What are three major goals of action regulation?
5.  Are fifths tuned narrow, pure, or sharp, in equal temperament?
6.   Give the intervals for the following musical ratios;
      1.   5/4
      2.  3/2
      3.  1/2
7.    Define; 1.  stretch
             2.  tempering
                  3.  soundboard crown
                  4.  pitch raise
                  5.  Well temperament
             6.  voicing
8.    How is a piano tuning affected by humidity?
9.    Draw a side view of a grand piano action train, complete from balance
       punching to string.
10.  Needles are used to do what in a piano action?
11.  A tuning based on the twelfth root of two is called what?
12  What is the major difference between the grand action and the upright
       action?
13.  How do you check for evenness of damper lift?
14.  What component is most responsible for tonal characteristics of a piano?
15.  What is the minimum number of tunings per year to protect the piano?

II.   Analyze one octave of a piano, diagnose mis-adjustments on eleven keys.

III.  Tune a unison to within a 1 cent tolerance.