key doublets

John Baird jbaird@fgi.net
Sun Nov 4 13:59 MST 2001

David,

You've introduced a term, "doublets", that I don't find the the
PianoTech or CAUT archives, Piano Parts and Their Functions, Schaff
catalogue, or the Steinway Technical Reference Guide. This piece is
clearly shown in all the diagrams, but nobody gives it a name that I can
find.

I'm glad you brought this up. When adjusting backchecks in the past,
there have been times when it seemed that too little force was required
to bend the backcheck wire in order to get a change in checking height.
I have thought that there might be metal fatigue in the backcheck wire,
that it might be close to breaking. Now I suspect that the wire is just
moving in the enlarged hole in the ... doublet.

Others, pleas comment.

Thank you,

John Baird