Small colleges in remote towns

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Sun Nov 4 19:27 MST 2001

Kent,
This sounds like a perfect opportunity to take off your technician hat and do
some consulting work.   Offer to visit the school and do a comprehensive
inventory analysis using the Guidelines for Effective Institutional Piano
Maintenance document and other supplementary material as the basis for your
work.   Meet with the department head, chair of the keyboard department (if there
is one) and every full-time and adjunct faculty member you can.  Have the college
make an announcement of your arrival -- time, date and purpose of visit.    The
meetings with faculty/staff and students can be informal -- in hallways and
lounges -- as the information gathered in this way will complement that which you
obtain by more formal means.  Ask general questions, and listen carefully to what
people are saying and how they respond.  Take copious notes.  Assure everyone
their comments and suggestions will remain confidential (i.e. not associated with
their name) but will be used to form a set of recommendations for the proper
service, care and maintenance of their piano inventory.

Most institutions have money set aside for consulting services.  Suggest that the
college allocate monies from this account rather than the piano maintenance
budget.  Stress that doing a comprehensive long-range plan will save money,
protect their investment and serve the various constituent groups better in the
long run.  Charge what other consultants change for time and expenses.   The
on-site visit will take a day, and the report will take another day to complete,
copy and mail.  Then there's the follow-up calls/emails and possible negotiation
of a contract.   But your goal is first to provide the analysis, then to help
direct the college to the best available service person to do the work (in this
case it sounds like that may be you, but you won't put that idea out there until
you've done the research, completed the project and garnered the trust of the
administration; by that time it will be they who ask for your services:).

As an aside...a smaller, out-of-state college I worked for a few years ago had
for the last 30 years been using the same "local tuner" and was still budgeting
$6K/yr. for tuning/repair services for 50+ pianos; the gentleman had done an
admirable job under the circumstances, but was retiring.  Today, as a result of
doing a comprehensive inventory analysis and the faculty pushing that the
recommendations in the report be implemented, this college retains a full
half-time technician, 20 hrs. a week @ $18K/yr. with full benefits plus shop
space, repair budget and on-going rebuilding program.   With 32 pianos, you might
not want to suggest to this college the creation of a staff position, but perhaps
a regular contract 3-4 days a month @ YOUR market rate would be a place to
start....

As you said, technicians from elsewhere -- preferably from far away but the next
town will do -- always know more.  You're in the driver's seat here, so with a
little luck everyone can come out a winner.

Good luck,
Rolf