Small colleges in remote towns

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Tue Nov 6 07:38 MST 2001

At 08:14 AM 11/4/01, Kent Swafford wrote:
>I have fallen into the habit of spending two days a year at a small college
>that is well outside my regular service area.

I happen to be the local tech at the first college that Kent visits for two
days a year.  I am glad to have Kent come, because there are still some
things that I still do not feel qualified in doing.

This college did recently give me an increase in my tuning fee to a
somewhat more acceptable level, but I have no idea where they are getting
the money, since the budget has been quite inadequate for as long as I have
tuned at this particular college.

When I began tuning at this college, I charged $35.00 for tunings, and that
is what the college was accustomed to paying.  However, I was also lacking
in my tuning skills and other technical skills.  The local college stuck
with me over the years and my technical skills and tuning skills have
increased, but the agreed upon amount for the tuning fee did not increase
as fast as I thought it should, and the budget did not increase (to my
knowledge).

About a month ago, I met with the head of the music department and
suggested that they find another tech who was willing to meet their needs
with an inadequate budget.  To my surprise, he offered to increase my
tuning fee, increase the number of scheduled tunings, and there may finally
be some interest in getting humidity control issues addressed in the main
concert piano in the small hall.

I hope that Kent won't mind if I tag along for two days next week.  I might
learn something!

By the way, I have given this college a LOT of information over the
years.  I have given them copies of all of the info from the PTG,
Dampp-Chaser, CAUT Guidelines, and Steinway and Sons "Guidelines for
Effective Institutional Piano Maintenance".  I just don't have the
credibility that Kent does in order to get things done, or to get approval
on getting work done.  (I also don't have the skills that Kent does, but I
am working on it.)

Kent, best wishes on working with the other college.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Registered Piano Technician
Joplin, MO