replacing plain wire

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue Nov 6 21:21 MST 2001

In a message dated 11/6/01 2:37:44 PM !!!First Boot!!!, nhunt@optonline.net
writes:

> That would depend, I think, on the piano usage.
>
> COncert instruments should be restrung when treble wires start breaking.
>
> Studio teaching pianos as well.

Strings break because of flat hammers, unregulated actions, and pianists who
play too hard. Should we replace all the strings when the upper treble
strings or the bass strings break because the piano player uses the right
foot to keep the beat?

> When they get rusty, render poorly, look awful, you want to really clean
> the board and webbing, during extensive restoration, too loose pins (to
> say when they will not stay in place where you want them).

Under these conditions, yes, replace the strings. But what about clean
strings, that render, and have not yet started to break? Is there such a
thing as string fatigue?

> Just for the hell of it because you don't have anything else to do.

You mean every time I have a free day, I should go and find a piano to
restring, just for the hell of it? I like to work on pianos, but restringing
is not one of my favorite things to do, especially on a free day. :)

Wim