replacing plain wire

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Nov 9 07:49 MST 2001

Wim,
	For my part, restringing plain wire is, as pointed out by Mark Cramer,
mostly to deal with termination and rendering problems, not due to
defects in the wire. Resurfacing the capo to eliminate little zingy bits
of metal and rust, and to lubricate; replacing bridge pins (not just
making them firm in the bridge) to get good round termination from them;
resurfacing the bridge to make it flat; renotching if necessary;
replacing understring felt if it has rust on it.
	If the wire itself is rusty, it may be causing a rendering problem. But
in concert grand situations, restringing is mostly to improve tonal
characteristics by improving termination characteristics, for the most
part. I guess excess string breakage might also be an indicator - which,
btw,  I believe to be mostly due to overstressing due to constant
tuning/pounding. So treble wire on concert grands in constant use really
takes a beating.
	I usually only restring the top two sections, where the capo is. And
retain the original tuning pins at least a couple times (unless they are
actually loose, which hasn't happened).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico