replacing plain wire

Vince Mrykalo Vince@byu.edu
Fri Nov 9 09:13 MST 2001

In my case, here at the university, restringing of the treble ( the vee bar
section) of many of the grand pianos with high usage is necessary every 5
years
or so.  That is due to the string breakage alone.  Because of the heavy blows,
I believe the wire's elasticity limit is relatively quickly exceeded at the
vee
bar, and as it is retuned, being brought back up to pitch constantly,  that
area of the string being over stretched, it will finally break at that point.
I believe that as long as that isn't happening anywhere else in the plain
string sections, the other strings do not have to be replaced.  Of course,
wound strings have their own problems as they age.  So as you say, there then
becomes other reasons the piano gets entirely restrung.

> . . . I agree that servicing all bearing points is easier with the strings
> removed. But the big question still remains, is there a reason  to restring
> the whole piano? Unless someone else can come up with another valid
reason, I
> am still not convinced that restringing is something that needs to be done,
> other than for the obvious reasons, like replacing a pin block, even after
> 100 years.
>
> Wim

Vinny
<mailto:vince@byu.edu>