Fees for keys to pianos?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Nov 9 09:28 MST 2001

Yep, it's an ongoing problem. We finally have someone (happens to be the
recital hall manager) assigned to keep track. She issues the cards that
allow them to go to the lock shop and get a key, then collects evidence
they turned them in (receipts). This is tied in with registration (can't
register if you have an unauthorized key) and with transcripts (for
those who have left). Not perfect, but an enormous improvement. She
maintains a data base so we know how many keys are out to each room, and
who has them.
	The lock shop is only now entering all its data on computer. Up till
recently all information was on file cards, filed by key holder's name,
with no cross reference to show how many of what key were out, and who
had them. We've simply had to rekey entire areas every few years (at
great expense) to keep a handle on things. Now, with one person in
charge within the department, the situation is much improved.
	Of course the electronic locks are the wave of the future. Maybe a
hundred years down the line around here ;-)
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico