RCT TlabPro and SAT III

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 10 17:52 MST 2001

> Objet : Re: RCT TlabPro and SAT III

> Which brings me to some questions:  what are the differences between these
> three tuning programs?  Did they all actually come from the same
> beginnings?
>
> Tim Coates
> University of South Dakota

Tim, Gentlemen,

Sorry to jump in as that.

The main difference between these 3 tuning tools and Vt100 (Verituner), is
that their computing is based on the assumption that aligning one partial
from note to note will produce the smoothest tuning curve all along the
piano. The first problem is that on many scale breaks and poor scaling
pianos, only a good tuner can use these tools efficiently, the second
problem is that, while tuning and looking at a display showing one partial
only, the way one hear the sound of the notes is focused on this partial.
Looking at something while tuning is a schizophrenic situation, as these are
different parts of the brain witch are involved. The eyes, look + visual
comprehension, are way slower than ears > brain (my case anyway), think that
25 frames second is enough to have a movement, while ear can judge
frequencies in a way higher range.

If you can't stay mind free while using these tools, the tunings you will
produce will be very even but tend to an evenness which is not B.M.O, very
musical, sort of expanded temperament computed in the middle of the piano,
with 2:1 octaves extensions at the top and another choice in the bass.

For ordinary work these are perfectly good tunings, but for concert venue, a
lot of aural tweaking is necessary to have the piano giving us all its
personality and warmness.

Having used SAT 2 and RCT for 3 years , mostly in studios and concert work,
I know what I am talking about, meaning, that the (ab)use of these gives a
somewhat "mechanical" sound (no speaking of slight errors because of the
weight of 3d partial in the temperament for example).

I now uses the Verituner 100 since 1 month, and have much less tweaking and
fight with the machine. The extra evenness stay a little a problem, but as
it is better matching the overall piano (particularly at the breaks), it is
easier to tune 'musically' with it.

This tool is the only one that (really) works for tuning, it is totally a
new concept, the display shows something you can agree with at anytime, and
don't try to put you in a "partial match" mood.
In fact it is a spectrum analyzer, real time, which acquires all the data
while tuning and compute 'on the fly' the best compromising . The software
part of the tuner is doing the same kind of computing that the other
programs, but on real data about all the spectrum, then uses this data for
the display too.

With time I guess that the 1 partial approach will show its limits to
anyone.

Besides, actually I plan to sell my VT100, as I begin to believe it is
politically incorrect to have one and talk about. I know the advertising of
the VT had probably smash some feet, and was not well explicated, but when
the few users of the VT 100 tell about their machine, it is suddenly SILENCE
!

As I have not a feeling for being a Pioneer, and I found it a little boring
to have a machine that tune better than me, I will come back to the ancient
method, so I will again have the feeling I am smarter than the machine !

With kind Regards

Isaac OLEG

Piano Tuner & Technician
Concert technician for Steinway Paris