It IS a full time job

Wed Nov 14 08:56 MST 2001

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> When I first heard about university technicians, I thought
> to myself, how can taking care of 75 pianos be considered
> a full time job. Now, after three months on the job, I'm
> asking myself, how in the world can one technician take
> care of 75 pianos?

Grin... welcome to University Life Wim... I'd say you have
your hands full with 50 instruments. Heck even if you are
just to keep them all in tune pretty much all the time you
are going to be a busy bee. Add on action maintaince and
action rebuilding and you are a full time employee no
problem.

> When I accepted the job here at the University of Alabama,
> I was looking forward to spending time some quality with
> Jan, working in the yard, playing racquet ball, golfing,
> taking a weekend to go to the beach, and doing a few extra
> tunings. I've been here 3 months, and with only 72 pianos,
> I'm already three years behind. I find myself working more
> than 8 hours a day, and sometimes more than 5 days a week.
> What hasn't helped is that for the past 25 years, the
> pianos were "tuned" and most of them have been "repaired,"
> and some have even been "rebuilt," but certainly not up to
> university standards. There is lots of catching up to do.

Get kontroll over your situation, dont kill yourself, and
accept that you have only 8 hours in a day and are only
getting paid for 5 days a week. Its reaaaaalllllllllllly
easy for us to start thinking about not having enough of
them in good enough shape often enough... but hey... their
is only so much a fella can do and if you'sa doing your
best... well thats plenty good me thinks.

> I am starting to keep track of my hours, so that I don't
> work more than 40 hours a week. I am very lucky to have a
> very appreciative faculty, and an even more appreciate
> department chair. I'm left alone, and I can work any time
> I want. No time card to punch. My office is next to the
> piano faculty studios. It's big enough to rebuild a piano
> in, with a large window, overlooking a grass yard, with
> large trees with squirrels climbing up and down. And one
> of the most enjoyable benefits of working at the
> university is attending the numerous recitals and concerts
> by the faculty and students. (I've not been to a football
> game, but maybe that will happen next year.)
>
> I'm not complaining, and I'm not asking for advice, I'm
> just expressing my thoughts. Sometimes I have to pinch
> myself to make sure this is really happening. I know
> someday the honeymoon will be over, but for now, I'm
> enjoying every moment.  I love my job
>
> Happy Thanksgiving.
>
> Wim

Golly Wim... I AM pleased that you are doing so well and are
feeling so good about your new piano life. I felt absolutly
awful about your store, even tho we dont see eye to eye on
Petrofs, and even tho I dont know you personally.... I
dunno.. one just gets to feeling an afinity for folks on
these lists... or what. Anyways.. didnt mean to throw a
bunch of advice at you so much as to cheer you on. You seem
happy and thats just great.

Thanks for a very nice post Wim.

--
Richard Brekne