Kuerti query

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu Nov 15 07:22 MST 2001

Conrad,

I have also worked with Kuerti before and will be again at our
International Piano Festival early next year. I agree with most
everything already said, with one elaboration. Besides the hammer
mating, he also doesn't like a 'strong' repetition spring because
he does a lot of leggierro (sp?) playing. This would go along
with Ted's comments below about the soft playing. Especially be
sure that there are no "bubbling" hammers on soft blows.

Also, I had been warned by another artist that he's been known to
cut the legs some if the bench isn't low enough. Whether true or
not, I made sure that the bench height suited him the first time
he was in the hall. :-)

After talking to him and making sure he wasn't going to do
something I couldn't easily put back, re: repetition & voicing, I
OK'd him doing a little. There were no problems.

As others have said, in spite of his knowledge (or maybe because of
it) :-) he's easy to work with and plays beautifully. Just do a
thorough job prepping, paying particular attention to what's been
mentioned, and I doubt you'll have any problems at all.

If you would, it would be interesting to me to have your comments
after he's been there, since I'll be working for him again soon.

Regards,
Avery

P.S. Since I mentioned the festival, besides Abbey Simon, I was told
that we'll also be having a Russian lady performing ALL the Liszt
Transcendental Etudes as her entire recital! I somehow have a feeling
I'll be working REALLY hard on tuning stability for that one! :-)