It IS a full time job

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Nov 15 10:00 MST 2001

Newton, Brent and list,
	It depends a great deal on the particular situation. Brent has a
situation where he can actually keep the pianos under his care in very
acceptable condition, and an administration with the will and the money
to keep it that way. My own situation is far closer to what Newton's
was. I'm half-time, taking care of 80 pianos, almost all of which are 30
years old or older, and almost none of which have been adequately cared
for. Until three years ago, I was a contract tech, caring for the same
stable of pianos at under 1/4 time. This is unfortunately the real world
most caut's face.
	In circumstances where pianos as a whole will never be adequately in
tune, let alone well-regulated and voiced, and don't even mention trying
to keep up with basics like re-bushing keys, well, you have to "cover
your ass" as Newton says. Yes, try to maintain a professional
relationship and attitude, but communicate, communicate, communicate and
document, document, document.
	I've been through five or six chairs, not counting interims, and the
differences are astounding. Half never really wanted to know I was
there, and as long as there were no complaints, they would have far more
important things to occupy themselves with. But I made sure to take the
initiative and let them know what needed to be done, even if there will
never be a budget to do it. As soon as a new chair is established (after
at least a couple months to get acquainted), I make an appointment and
just talk over the general situation. Over time, things have improved a
bit, and I'm basically secure and happy here. But if I stayed in the
woodwork, I'd have been gone long since. Why? Because someone like our
brand new piano faculty member (who was used to Juilliard conditions)
would explain how bad things were, and the blame might very likely land
on me.
	Just another 2 cents worth from the trenches.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

Newton Hunt wrote:

> > First to Newton, with all due respect, this is not kind of advice
> > that is either proactive or beneficial to the common goals of
> > this forum.
>
> Brent, you have not been around long enough to know what happened to me,
> why, and what I might have been able to do about it.
>
> If I had known then what I just advised Wim and all on this list, I
> would likely still be employed and not permanently disabled and unable
> to work.  I may well have been still married.
>
> I DO know what I am speaking of and "with all due respect" you need to
> pull in your horns and allow those of us who have been around the horn
> to inform the others of the pitfalls they may well face.

snip