It IS a full time job

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Sat Nov 17 07:47 MST 2001

Newton Hunt wrote:

> It IS important to know the workings of the environment in which we
> spend most of our time awake (or glazed over after six tunings) and
> establishing a "culture" is good as well.
>
> It is also good to know who that "culture" can let you down, even
> destroy you as happened to me.

This is an interesting discussion, one which points up the vast differences in
each of our situations and the reality that 'cultures' can change rapidly.  My
own feeling about organizational culture is that it is created from the top,
and any significant or meaningful change has to come from there.  Faculty and
staff can nurture an existing culture, but changing it takes more than a
grassroots effort.   It seems to require a person in a position of power (i.e.
department/division head, dean or president) to effect such a change, and then
can be for better or for worse.  For some institutions the problem stems from
promoting poorly equipped "academics" into supervisory and managerial
positions; for others the problem comes from bringing in outside "business
people" to run the organization who haven't a clue how to deal with artists,
teachers or the public/private non-profit educational system.  It seems rare
to come upon an institution that is not dysfunctional in some way or another;
discovering which direction it's moving, and how to be part of functional and
attitudinal improvement, is the important thing.

I agree it is incumbent upon us to foster a culture of professionalism and
integrity within our own areas and, to the extent possible, support positive
changes within the organization.  At the same time however -- recognizing our
limited sphere of influence -- I believe we need to be watchful, aware and
alert to changes in the landscape that could have an adverse effect on our
sensibilities, spirit, and ability to do our jobs.   If the organizational
culture is not supportive of these things or does not foster a mutual respect
between/among faculty, staff, administration and students, then as Susan Kline
suggests maybe its time to move on.  We can only nurture organizational
culture or its movement, not effect directional change.

Rolf von Walthausen