Breaking strings

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue Oct 2 08:16 MDT 2001

Lance writes:
<<
I have a customer with a Steinway B (University) that has begun breaking
strings.  The piano is less than 10 yrs old.  Other than
wearing/flat/widened striking surface on hammers, are there any other things
I should investigate while at the piano next week? >>

  Greetings,
    I had to restring the top half of a pair of Steinway B's at Vanderbilt
because of breakage problems. The capo bars were OK, the hammers were not too
flat.
   I ascribed it to heavy play.
   I didn't repin, I just backed all pins out 1/2 turn, removed the coils,
and wound new coils on a dummy pin.  After having everybody back up to near
pitch, I then tapped the pins down to their minimum plate/coil clearance.  It
has been over 7 years now and so far, so good.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT