Capo-hardening

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 3 10:32 MDT 2001

At 09:33 PM 10/3/01 +1000, you wrote:
>Roger wrote:
>
>>. . . . . I am either mis reading you, or dis agreeing?   Having
>>spent time in the Yamaha foundry.  The V Pro plate is cooled and
>>ready to work in 40mins flat.
>
>This is interesting, and contrary to what we were told at the time
>(1977 I think) of the release of the V pro Yamaha plates.

Hi Ron,
              Yamaha boxed themselves in a corner, over the V Pro thing.
The touted the superiority of V Pro in all their advertising for years,
world wide.  Then came the CF and S series.   Ops, now what do we tell
people.  Shush lets be quiet about it.

Imformation that we got on process was minimal to say the least.  Yes we
have additives to make V Pro flow and cool faster.  But sorry company
secret.   They were the ones that gave the imformation that is took 40 mins
to cool the V pro plate.  The whole process is fully automated.  Right down
to covering the mold with the mylar sheeting.  I asked if they just relied
on the massive steel molds as a heat shunt for rapid cooling, and was told
company secret.

So unless all the facts are on the table, the best you can do do is make an
educated guess.

Their dilema, for years shouting about the quality of V Pro, when in fact
it is a cost saving, high production feature.

>The idea of electrically heating and slowing the freeze time would
>certainly do what you claim. Is this how Yamaha produce their CF
>plates?

Yes.    I think Kelly also retards cooling on the the larger plates also.
Not enough from theproblems I have seen.

>Clearly Roger, there would seem to be some disagreement between us. I
>look forward to further clarification. I would hasten to add here
>that I have had limited foundry experience. The information I have
>has come from piano factory representatives and engineering hand
>books, so the information may not have been totally reliable. Anyone
>else wish to add to this thread?

I am not so sure we are disagreeing,  My imformation is just as sketchy.
Knowing the variables involved one can only make educated guesses.
Visiting two foundries is hardly an education.

Roger