Capo-hardening

Wed Oct 3 21:55 MDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "jolly roger" <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: October 03, 2001 9:22 AM
Subject: Re: Capo-hardening

> Yes.    I think Kelly also retards cooling on the the larger plates also.
> Not enough from theproblems I have seen.

They were not doing so during the 80s and through the first half of the 90s.
They did leave them in the sand for a time but that was only because it was
convenient--not that many 9-foot plates were being cast. There was no
provision for controlling the cooling rate that I could see.

Nor did anyone remember how to heatsink a sand mold to prevent a thin
section from cooling faster than an adjacent thick section. One old-timer
told me he remembered it had been done years earlier at both the Wickham and
Kelly foundries but no one remaining knew the technique.

Del