remember?

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 8 23:00 MDT 2001

Joe,

Yeah, this is where I work (live in a nearby town)...the homeless is a real
problem.  We literally have someone on every corner in the downtown area
asking for handouts.  Why?  Our climate is mild year-round and they get fed
at soup kitchens etc. and people continue to give them spare change.  You
don't see as much homelessness in the the surrounding Bay Area except in
the bigger cities.  With the tourist economy in a downward spiral...down
some 60%...the mayor suddenly has noticed that this isn't helping...what
one can actually do about it I don't know...you can't very well throw them
in jail...we could do what other cities do, give them a one way ticket to
another city.

In North Dakota, where I grew up, you can see bumper stickers that say:
"40 degrees below 0 with wind chill, keeps the riff-raff out".  So true!

David I.