silly question

Ron Torrella rontorrella@yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 11:22 MDT 2001

I think the answer has to do with whether one is receiving high or low
amplitude vibrations and I think where one's ear is aimed in relation to the
origin of a given wave source (the soundboard and/or the various deflection
surfaces -- lids, sides and whatnot) determines which wave makes it into
one's ear.

There are several very interesting webpages on the topic, one of them at The
Physics Classroom
<http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/sound/u11l1a.html>.