New Steinway prep

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sat Oct 20 13:06 MDT 2001

Lance Lafargue writes:

> I just prepped 2 new Steinways this week, a B and a D and I was wondering if
>  any have had similar problems....  After the piano sat for a few weeks, the
>  music desks were swollen up so much, I COULD NOT GET THEM OFF.

I had a similar problem on a B. The serial number on the desk did not match
the piano. Apparently, two desks were switched, probably at the dealership.
It's unlikely this applies to you, but it's worth a look....

> Also, the lacquer on the last several pianos has not completely cured for
>  months.

We have been using the same lacquer they do, which is solvent-based, and have
also found it too soft lately. It feels like the formula has changed. Our
friend Dale Erwin has had a similar experience. We are still exploring, and
will let you know if we find out anything.

Bob Davis