Sharp key height

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 25 13:01 MDT 2001

Hi John,
12 mm is what Yamaha suggests, 1/2" = approx. 12.5 mm.  Sometimes 1/2"
exposes the wood of key below the sharp keytop, too.  I usually find a
little less than 1/2" better.  Steinway suggests about a postcard thickness
above naturals at a point just behind the keytops. That is nearly 1/2", not
quite.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of John
Minor
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 1:07 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Sharp key height

What height do folks  prefer on sharps? Although I've seen 1/2" is
common, this feels just a bit too high for my liking. Some pianists will
find "something" they just don't quite like about the 1/2", but they don't
know exactly what the problem is.  I prefer just under 1/2 at 12mm, or
slightly higher than 15/32"

Comments?

John Minor
University of Illinois