sharp key height

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu Oct 25 22:38 MDT 2001

Key dip is measured at the upper outer edge of the natural key wood.
The dip block should be measured at each corner and sanded so both
corners match within 0.001".  Whatever that measurement is should be
printed on the key with a felt pen.  One should have several dip blocks
of many thicknesses.  The anvil of the micrometer should be flat to the
bottom of the block.

I don't think I have seen an action that regulated well at .375".  Seems
I am always taking some out, usually .010".

Know your blocks, know your regulation.

If .393" (10 mm) is too deep then put in .010" or .012".  Always do what
the action says, not what I say.  Feel good is the watch word of the
action. :)

		Newton, dipped out