S&S action numbers

Tue Oct 30 09:58 MST 2001

Cauterizers/roasters,

Houston, we have a problem....

[yes, I did try searching the archives, but couldn't find this specific
method of evaluation.]

I don't have fancy gram scales, so I haven't been doing stuff by the
Stanwood system, BUT... at our last chapter meeting we went over total
mechanical advantage.  Basically, multiplying the lever ratios of the three
levers of the action.  Since then I've been trying to make sense of it and
some of the possible ramifications of stuff I've found.

In our recital hall we have two D's. I want to replace hammers, shanks and
wippens on the new yorker and have been trying make sure I order the right
ones. Duh...

Lately, I've also gotten reports that it seems hard to get sound out of the
(new to us)hamburger.

I'm not a stenographer, so I didn't write down everything which was said in
the technical, but one thing I DID was that the magic number range for an
action to work and feel right is between .152 and .158.

Today I measured both pianos.

1949 NYC S&S D
#1 - .153
#88- .1486

1984 Ham S&S D
#1 - .1692
#88- .1689

The big difference I see is the knuckle/flange pin distance.  The hamburger
has 17.5mm!

Re: Hamburger
If I plug in the NY pre-'84 spec of 16mm, the numbers become:
#1 - .1547
#88- .1544
Beautifully inside of the zone...

Can I assume that the high number signifies that an action will play like a
truck?

If 16mm shanks were put in there, wouldn't the touchweight increase
dramatically?
{Incidentally, my Renner kit only has 16mm and 17mm choices, where did
these 17.5s come from?}

Re: NYC
I have a set of wippens which I am contemplating putting into the
NYC.  They appear to be Hamb specs (straight heel, 99mm flange-jack centers)

Plugging in those nummers the NYC goes from .153/.148  to .155/.154.  Would
that feel significantly different?  If the numbers are so similar, would it
feel more consistant than original, or is there supposed to be a dropoff,
like touchweight?

BTW, earlier this year I did substitute the straight heel for the original
slant and saw a negligible difference in touchweight.  What problems am I
asking for if I change them?

Feeling betwixt a rock and a hard place.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)
=== Note new area code ===

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin and Hobbes