S&S action numbers

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 30 14:07 MST 2001

Hello,

Can be 17 mm or 17,5 sometime it is just the parts who where made as that.

There are difference between the screw hole and the pin too, so the modern
roller is often farther ( in direction of the strings)

As for the whippen pin to jack pin dimension, use to be 100 mm, I've seen 99
mm too.

Anyway be aware that moderns S&S parts (hammers & shanks will be heavier 1-
2 g more than the original, even if your Hamburg is only 10 years old)
If money is in the way , try to keep the shanks (lighter)

The new hammer felts need less needling too often ( that can be nice).

Often the modern parts are not optimal for the older action frame too, the
spread can be different, better than having to force the old springs, and
move the jack to be under the roller, buy new whippens ( I know they are
expensive, may be I can have good copies made by Renner)

As some models are yet heavily weighted in the keys, it is better to have
new parts than to add more and more lead of course.

Good luck

Isaac OLEG