Piano Covers

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed Oct 31 15:04 MST 2001

re: bumpers

I'm intent on having firm rubber hose of a diam. larger than the
lid-overhang sewn into the covers, 5 or 6 inches below the lid.

This should solve the moving-through-doorways problem without adding trim to
the lid, or adding bumpers to all the doorways.

The firm rubber hose will contact first, prevent the lid from touching
anything. Obviously, the cover must be kept in place.

I've also been curious about the idea of a "rehearsal" cover, and am anxious
to check the link someone has posted regarding a "leave-in-place" cover.

Finally, consider the (routed underneath the key-bed) finger-grip recesses
we discussed awhile ago to provide stage-hands (literally) something other
than the cover to tug on.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

 -----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 8:43 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Piano Covers

    Jeff

    The Schaff 48 A or B are moving pad material. The grommet holes are
intended for when you move the piano on its side. My experience with smaller
ones are that they are so bulky, that people have a tendency not to put them
on.

    If the piano is being moved often, as in many concert settings, perhaps
we need to make special precautions, or do something out of the ordinary.
I've never done this, but have thought about it, but has any one ever
considered putting some sort of rubber "rope" around the edge of the lid, to
protect it from the bumps against the doors? I'm thinking of that stuff you
put around doors to keep the weather out. (weather stripping).  If that is
nailed to the edge of the lid, it could save it from getting dinged. If it
is black, it would blend in with the piano, and I doubt anyone would see it
on the stage.

    I guess it is a trade off. Do you want to see black weather stripping on
the edge of the lid, or large white spots, where chunks of wood have been
chiseled out? Any thoughts on this.

    Wim