my mouth is still on the floor

Michelle L Stranges stranges@Oswego.EDU
Wed Sep 5 12:43 MDT 2001

oh my God, I cannot believe the responses I have gotten from my post.
I saved your letters ( Del, Newton). THANX!!!!!

uhhhh.....  I really have to re-read over them again.

I am sorta confused by the wording of some of the measurements that you told
me about- and some of the terms. ( scale stick marks??) If you mean did I
mark where the string grooves were in the hammers before filing ?, then yes
I did do that.

I really didn't measure key height, because this instrument was in such a
sorry state, and was UNPLAYABLE completely. I thought I'd fix things up a
bit and then start tinkering with some samples- to get it going. I don't
have HUGE hopes for this, but something to play a little Bach on for me
would be great.

This is the piano with " quasi thayer knuckles", and after carefull
consideration of avoiding time, money, and whatever else may come up, I
decided to keep the original hammers and shanks. For setting the jack to
knuckle realtionship, it was going to be a trial and error thing, for
there's really no visual for me to place the jack.( no knuckle core) I would
probably just keep turning it until it "cheated" and then backed it off a
bit.

I do have at my disposal, a few guru's and you know , after reading what you
guys wrote I would REALLY just like to bring them the whole thing and have
them take a look at it- some beers might help.

Your letters have put me at a standstill. I'm a deer in the headlights.

Last night I was so excited to see it finally coming together, and WOAH!!!
didn't that stop me quick!!!!

Newton, you are right, the brackets are made of this slate colored stuff,
which IS showing some cracks in it, but looks ok still to me.

Boy, I really would like to shove some shims in there and just get the
wippens NEAR the drop screws.

As I recall, the capstans were "sorta" centered on the capstan pads before I
noticed this mess.

OH MAN!!!!

THIS AIN'T COOL.

Many Thanx!!