Piano Technician position

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Sep 13 15:10 MDT 2001

List,
Have you all seen the listing in the Help Wanted section of the new Journal
for the position vacancy at the University of Richmond?

Is it just me? or does it seem like recent ads for positions have to use
the promise of piles of extra outside work to entice a technician's
interest?

The ad reads that a "hard working technician can earn up to a six-figure
salary...". I don't know the base salary, but if it's around the average of
the salaries I've learned, by my estimates it would take around 70 hours
per week to earn that kind of money.

Am I just naive to what's going on out there?  Are you guys working those
kinds of hours?  Do you have families?  Do you ever see them?  If you don't
have families, would you do this if you had one?  Am I dreaming to think
that a CAUT piano technician ought to be able to support a family AND get
to see them on occasion?

Other ads I've seen for CAUT positions in high cost of living areas haven't
been above $40K, and most in the mid 20s to low 30s.  Is this for real?

We're trying to get some improvement made here to the salary which after
all the deductions simply won't support the cost of living here for one,
much less a whole family.  I need to know if I'm wasting my time and I need
to ask my brother in law for a job selling cars.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician
School of Music