New B's

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue Sep 25 06:21 MDT 2001

Hi Paul,

I guess this time, we just got lucky. We had to make
some adjustments in our lease program this year in
order to get better quality instruments in the piano
major practice rooms. The dealer wanted to keep the
"bottom line" about the same, so we had to cut numbers
to do that. The two piano teachers who got these B's
were two of the casualties and were left with only one
instrument.

Somehow, after some meetings or whatever, our Director
got the Dean of the Fine Arts department (who's on our
side, anyway) to find the money. Actually, the money
came from the university budget, not the Music Dept.
budget.

They're supposed to be putting enough money in the budget
for a while for us to get a couple of new ones every year
until we get what we need. The dealer is proposing that
Steinway plan where we get all the pianos we're going to
"now" and pay X dollars a year until they're ours. Actually,
the amount that way would be very similar to purchasing a
couple or so at a time. Of course, they won't all be B's. :-)

Anyway, that's what happened. At least the pianists got to
pick out their instruments, so hopefully I won't have a lot
of problems to deal with.

Avery