Ballistol

John Baird jbaird@fgi.net
Wed Sep 26 12:21 MDT 2001

I have about 15 ml of Ballistol which was given to me by a visiting
Bosendorfer technician from Jasper, IN about ten years ago. Bosendorfer
was using it then on center pins.  What I have is called
Ballistol-Klever "Dasaltbewaehrte Spezialoel".   "Klever" is the name of
the chemical-pharmaceutical factory in Aham, Germany.

I did a little experiement back then with four flanges and four
different lubricants, and hung it up on the pegboard in my shop in a
baggie. Today I got it down and measured the flanges with a spring gram
gauge. Unfortunately, I did not have this gauge ten years ago, so I
don't know for sure that the flanges had the same resistence before
applying any lubricants. Not a very controlled experiment, I admit, but
here are the measurements I took today:

Silicone = 6 gr.
Ballisol = 7 gr.
Protek   = 10 gr.
Garfield = off the scale

I've kept the nearly empty bottle. The label gives no hint of the
chemical makeup, but the claims made for this product provide for some
amusing reading.

Loosely translating the German:

"It'll clean and protect guns and their mechanisms, cares for and
protects machines, gadgets and tools, protects chrome, steel, iron,
softens dry leather, protects against water and decay.  You can use it
on sewing machines, door locks, bicycles, and it cares for natural
wood."

You can use it on *yourself* too!:

"It soothes sunburn, frostbite "und Insektenstichen" (insect bites).
"It'll keep mites and ticks away." No claim is made that it can be used
as a salad dressing in a pinch, but I wonder.

John Baird, RPT
Decatur, Illinois