capo-hardening?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Sep 28 08:41 MDT 2001

jolly roger wrote:
> Acoustically it may be noted that
> companies using the V Pro process, will also sand cast the plates of their
> premium models.   Draw you own conclusions.
>
> Roger.

Roger,
	This really puzzles me. As far as I can see, the only acoustic function
of a plate is to provide good termination where there is a capo (leaving
aside design considerations like angles of deflection). Other than that,
it's function is purely structural. I can't see where minor changes in
composition would have an acoustic affect on anything other than
termination. Do you? Might the reason they sand cast premium models be
the fact they don't need enough of them to be worth the enormous set up
expense for v pro? (My understanding is v pro is less expensive
somewhat, but only with high volumes.)
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico