capo-hardening?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Sep 28 14:09 MDT 2001

Okay, maybe I didn't state my query precisely enough. I would call
sharp/round and thin/wide design issues associated with termination,
similar to angle of deflection. Hard/soft is associated with materials
and their treatment, but again a termination issue.
	Plate ring/internal damping has to do with the plate being acoustically
inert - taking as little vibrational energy as possible from the string.
At any rate, all the sources I have heard from who seem to speak with
authority seem to be in agreement on this. And I can't see that the
metallurgic differences between v pro and cast iron would affect
acoustical inertness.
	In which case, as a choice of materials issue, it would boil down to
hardness of termination. And v pro seems quite good from that point of
view, at least in my limited experience.
	Am I missing something here?
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico