bearing, loose bridge pins leading to Wapin considerations

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri Apr 5 22:58 MST 2002

| >> and if the pin is even a little bit loose, false beats will
| >> result.
| >

| And this crushed notch edge is the reason the string has the
horizontal
| freedom of movement at the bridge pin to flagpole the pin and
produce the
| beat.

I am not sure what a "crushed notch edge" looks like but I have pulled
strings off the bridge (usually bass) and every once in a while
noticed a "fanning" of the string mark on the bridge at the upper pin.
(the pin toward the speaking length).  Does this produce false beats?
I didn't come to that conclusion in that particular piano because in
tuning there was not enough falseness.  Otherwise there is usually a
straight precise indentation across the bridge that indicates the
bridge suface is flat to the plane of the string and the bridge is
indeed pushing up on the string.
    But I think we must realize that a plane surface can push more on
the speaking side than the hitch pin side or vice versa even.   The
bridge is sitting on a soundboard that heaves up and down with the
weather.  This plane surface will move accordingly and perhaps in
different angles to the plane of the string crossing it. So if the
bridge is pushing up on the string, the front bridge pin can actually
be down from the plane of the string because the surface at the back
pin is pushing up more on the string, or a TILTED bridge.    Three
simple diagrams would suffice to show three different positions of a
bridge in positive bearing yet in two of the positions would show the
string being off the bridge at one or the other pin.

    The actual bearing is very slight so far as I am led to believe,
(conversation and experience)  especially in the bass.
Unfortunatly I don't know of a way to change the bearing to show
instant results.  With this slight bearing it is expected there could
be a creeping up of the strings on the bridge pins since they vibrate
against pins even though they are angled.   Also even if the pin is
secure in the bridge there will (or should be it seems) a slight
bending movement of that pin from the vibrating string.   If the pin
is loose in the bridge there will be even more movement.
    Now with Wapin there are  new sets of parameters to consider.
The front pin is vertical and the next pin, I think they call it the
'trapping pin" is also vertical.  I wonder what the consideration of
"riding up" on the front pin is there?  And also how the string seats
on the bridge as opposed to the old pin arrangement.? Does the string
indentation look the same?   ---ric