Wire stretching

Jon Page jonpage2001@attbi.com
Sat Apr 6 05:21 MST 2002

Even after a single wire is replaced and the natural curves reduced and the
wire 'rubbed'
the tension will go down in the following weeks. Not as much as had not the
aforementioned
procedures been executed, they are just aspects of the event.

And if wire does not stretch, then why would some tuners pre-stretch wire
for replacement?
To reduce the effects of that aspect of string replacement.

If wire does not stretch then why is the wrap on a bass string longer when
the string is pulled up to pitch?

Seems to me that anything under tension _has_to give, even if
minutely.  It's like RonN said a few
months ago . . . the fly did have an affect on the aircraft carrier; it's
just that the result of the impact
was more readily visible on the fly than the ship.

I'm not saying that it continually stretches, it reaches a point where it's
strength resists this and becomes stable.
Does it get drawn, over time, to the point of losing it's elasticity and
that would account for new wire sounding better?

Obviously, I don't have answers; just unfounded theories allocated over the
years.

Just trying to figure out fact from fiction/fantasy.

Jon Page