Dead Note

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Apr 15 08:51 MDT 2002

Avery,
	I've experienced the exact same thing. Turned out residue between
string and capo were responsible, and I had to loosen the string enough
to get a damp cloth between string and capo to clean before I finally
solved the problem. Amazingly dead notes (their were three in a row).
And no visible residue anywhere (if the customer hadn't told me there
was a spill, I'd still be there trying to figure it out <g>).
	But B flat2? That's a wound string through an agraffe, no? Still, might
be worth while lowering tension considerably, and cleaning the best you
can. Liquids can wick into small spaces, and I guess residue in an
agraffe hole could maybe cause that much havoc.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico