tuning and teaching

Mon Apr 29 09:44 MDT 2002

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/28/02 3:54:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
> Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
>

>> It would seem to me that "taking care" of 60 - 100 pianos in a Music
>> Conservatory situation and "taking care" of 2000 private home pianos
>> are quite obviously two different ball parks, and it shouldnt be too
>> difficult to clarify that much to anyone....grin... even an
>> administrator.
>
> You would think so. But then why are there still some administrators
> out there that seem to think taking care of 60 pianos is a "part time
> job," paying only a part time salary, expecting the tech to make up
> the difference in outside tunings?
>
> Wim

I would think that the answer is a bit complex.  But some primary
contributers to this problem may be that administrators can actually
find folks who are willing to go along with this kind of deal. They of
course adjust to fit their own needs the definition of "taking care" of
pianos.  Then as long as the administrator is not getting to much flack
from the faculty / students he/she will consider the situation under
control. This of course will vary from administrator to administrator.
The tough ones will keep their faculties at bay,,,, and probably have
some level of disenchantment from them on his/her hands. It also depends
on how pushy the faculties are.... what they demand.

Course they cant know much about what to demand if they dont understand
much of whats possible either...

That is perhaps one of the strong points of sticking with the 50-60
pianos a year picture. It makes very clear that there is a whale of a
lot more to holding instruments in good playing and tuning order for
conservatory useage loads. It demands a good explaination to
administrations and THAT is perhaps what needs most to be worked on from
the PTG's side to meet any such problems. An effective way of
demonstrating and explaining to administrators the value and need for
that level of service.

No doubt some of your points about how many hours per week a given
situation requires could be valuable in that regard.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.