Workload-"condition"

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon Apr 29 10:25 MDT 2002

In a message dated 4/29/02 9:44:48 AM Central Daylight Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:

> Personally, I prefer to build on the efforts of those who went before
> me.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico

I appreciate your sentiments, Fred. They are admirable. But what makes them
so valuable? Just because our "forefathers" came up with a formula, doesn't
necessarily make them right. I am not saying they are wrong. But if we are
going to pursue this matter to the fullest, we should look at every possible
way of measuring a work load.

I am sure when, whomever came up with the formula, got started, there were
many mistakes, recalculations, etc. That is what I am doing with mine. I came
up with something, and have revised it three times, to reflect problem others
pointed out. I am not even sure if my latest version is the final one. But I
think it needs careful consideration before it is dismissed.  As I said, I
think the CAUT formula is confusing. You have already found one flaw in it.
But I think the whole concept is working backwards. It starts with what is
considered a workload, and then tries to justify it with different formulas.
That, I think, is a flawed way of getting the results we are looking for.

Mind you, I am not discounting your work, nor the work done by your
predecessors. If it wasn't for the time and effort you and the others have
put into this project, we wouldn't even be here to begin with. But just
because you've worked on it for a long time, doesn't necessarily make it
right. I just want you to be open minded enough to look at what I've put
together, and consider the possibility that it might be better.

Wim