soundboard springs

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 06:13:12 -0600

Yes.  I know there are many out there who refuse to believe it, but
Wapin has compensated for a dead soundboard many times.  I've
experienced it several times.  The board still needs to have crown and
there needs to be downbearing.

I have considered installing the treble tension resonator on one piano.
 It has Wapin on the Killer Octave and sounds great were it once was
dead.    I can hear a slight difference in the entire treble when the
air gets dry, though.  I think the resonator could help the case and
soundboard stay together better in that area.  I've talked with some
people about the resonators: works for some, doesn't work for others.
 The idea has been around for years.

Tim Coates
Wapin Company LLP