you can pay me now....

Donald McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Wed Jul 3 17:13 MDT 2002

Wim and List,

This is something I would like to hear some opinions on. How many times can a
piano be rebuilt and still produce the same or similar quality as new? We have an
1887 Steinway B here at IC. It has been rebuilt at least twice. The piano resides
in a voice faculty studio and is just fine for that use. I would not want to put
it on a stage though.

We have some fairly old Steinways in the practice rooms that get hard use. They
are ok now but how many times can a piano in such an environment be expected to
last?  Certainly some pianos/brands are not worth the effort but many are. Just
how many times?

Don