Voicing

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed Jul 10 13:52 MDT 2002

Hi-

With older, worn hammers like you describe in line for replacement, the wisest
approach (IMO) is to make that information available to the players.
Not to make excuses, but it is only fair that they understand the
situation.
You can only do the best you can with what there is to work with in the
time allotted. Even things out, take the edge off, maybe some steam, but
make the tuning rock solid. That's what I would do.  Anything more is
probably unrealistic. The twangs and buzzes may likely be rooted in
something other than the worn hammers however.  Too bad they don't have
a more appropriate piano available, but that is how it goes sometimes.
There is a limit to what you can do in just a few days. I've tried the
getting all stressed out method and concluded that approach that is
ultimately ineffective.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College