Genuine Steinway Action Rails Split

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Fri Jul 12 11:38 MDT 2002

Ideally the hammershanks should leave the hammershank rail at exactly 90º
and, when properly travelled and with the hammer square to the shank, the
hammer should impact the string set square and on center.

, but it is quite rare to
find an action frame and rail set in an older piano in here for
remanufacturing that is aligned and/or drilled in a way that conforms to
these standards.

Del

Under the topic of hammer-spacing, page 32 of the S&S technical reference
guide states "Keep the hammershank flanges evenly spaced with each other and
90 degrees to the action rail."

Sometimes I picture the author sitting at the typewriter, contemplating what
he has just written, staring at a Steinway action rail, reading his words
again, and laughing himself to tears.

I'm thinking of a boardgame where the variables of the tubular rail, a
previous generation's worth of stripped screw-hole repairs, worn rail cloth
and the limitless variety of hammer-traveling options these provide are
color coded with a spinner in the middle. "Spin to choose your contortion,
then just try and make the shank/flange conform to it!"

I love these pianos dearly, and a noble ideal it is, but on the day I can
actually acheive evenly spaced, and 90 degree flanges on a Steinway action,
we close off 10 city blocks and have a big parade!  :>)

Oh well, like the old Billy Joel song goes, "everybody has a dream!"  :>)

Hey y'all, get outside and enjoy the sunshine for awhile!

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University