LA Olympics (was Re: Have a Fazioli?)

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:00:25 -0500

At 12:51 PM -0400 8/14/03, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/14/03 10:58:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
>BECKERLR@UCMAIL.UC.EDU writes:
>
>>1984 Los Angeles Olympics.  Lots of white Kimballs.
>>

>If I recall, something like 150 of them. Lots of Los Angeles area
>pianos techs were used to tune them. If you guys remember Ray
>Rueter, who worked for Kimball at the time, was one of the tuners,
>and then also got to play at the opening ceremony.

Guys,

I can't take it anymore  :-)

The misinformation continues ... white? ... 150?

At least now the year and location are correct, *and* that Ray Reuter
was involved.

----------
NOTE: I did see your post, Avery, but still decided to send this one
from the horse's mouth, so to speak. It's McGavern, by the way.
----------

Here's a brief factual scoop*:

1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles at the Los Angeles Coliseum
Eighty-four (84) blue Kimball Grand pianos
They were featured in George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" during the
opening ceremony.
Five additional tuners were involved besides Ray Reuter:
Teri Powell, Bob Cloutier, Mark Wisner, Alan Slater, Emily Goya.

*Piano Technicians Journal
September 1985, page 13
Olympic Tuning Tests Technicians' Endurance
Industry News

More info (condensed ) I posted in 1998 from the Journal article:
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/1998-September/037587.html

Also a great site:
http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/index_uk.asp
ALL THE GAMES SINCE 1896
Relive the emotion of previous Games
by selecting a date or host city

Oh, and Wim, for some trivia, you were the Central West Vice
President at the time. How about that?

Cheers to all,

Keith McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Baptist University