damper problem

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:43:43 -0500

Hey Wim,
 I'm wondering if it is just more noticeable when the left string is out
of commission, but still actually dampens the same.  I have three
thicknesses of yarn that I always use.  I find that leveling the strings
first, making sure the heads are square/level and putting the yarn into
the tri felts leaves me very little to tweak.  Of course, a few days
resting on the strings will help, usually.  The yarn should spread the
tricord felt, pressing on that offending string more and eventually the
felt compresses nicely on both sides to mate with the strings.  Did you
use precut Steinway felt?  Good luck with it.
Lance Lafargue, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 4:15 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: damper problem

I just got done restringing a D, including new dampers. I also put on a
new set of h/s/f. As I was doing my last voicing, I discovered that when
I put on the shift, about 4 or 5 notes would not dampen the right string
cleanly. Under normal playing, these dampers work fine. But with the
shift, the right string rings on just a little more than I want. I tried
adjust the damper head, but to no avail. In fact, the more I tilted the
head to the right, the worse the problem got. When I tilted the head to
the left, it didn't solve the problem either. It is not the adjacent
damper lifter holding the damper up. I checked that. I'm at a loss.

Any one know why this is happening, and what I can do to correct the
problem?

Wim