piano parts, etc

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:15:37 -0700

  belongs in the piano. That way, when they call their piano tuner sometime in the future, they can explain exactly which part they think isn't working right. (at least that is the goal).
As my doctor once told me, "He who diagnoses himself has a fool for a physician."  This can be the case with piano owners as well.  The goal is to get the player on the same page, speaking the same language, as the piano tech, so effective communication can occur, thereby solving the problem.  The last thing we want to do is train a bunch of Lone Rangers who go out shooting their mouths off with the authority that only comes from ignorance, thereby making miserable the lives of all future piano techs with whom they come in contact.  I know that's not one of your course objectives, however, it can be an out-come unless great care is taken.  The truly ignorant will not be dissuaded by any of us, but will pick up the nomenclature cudgel and beat everyone within reach, no matter what disclaimers we apply.  The endeavor is, however, worth the risk.

Otto