emergency travel paper

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 07:27:58 -0600

	I've been using various "pressure sensitive" (meaning pre-sticky, with a
glossy non-stick backing) bits of paper for years for travelling. (Things I
get for free in the mail, usually, me being a cheapskate). Peels off the
flange easily if you need to remove it and move it over, stays put later
when you pull the shank for pinning or whatever. I cut a strip with
scissors, peel the backing a bit, and go.
	As for being stable, frankly I find that the shanks and flanges themselves
are more unstable than any travel paper I can imagine. I often find myself
removing paper and papering the other side of a flange a couple years or
more down the road. That is definitely caused by wood flexing, not by paper
or glue doing whatever it might (and it doubt it would do much, regardless
what glue or lack of glue there might be). Travelling, like just about any
piano operation, is never "done for good," it's just as close to perfect as
we can get it for a short window of time.
	That said, many shanks and flanges have straight enough grain that they
will stay travelled beautifully virtually forever. But I don't think I've
ever had a set where every single one stayed travelled after five years or
so. Every time I go through a critical piano in a reasonably thorough
manner, I check travelling, and find some work to do.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, June 4, 2003 9:27 AM -0500 "Elwood Doss, Jr."