String buzz

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:53:08 -0400

>Jeff-
>Why not just trim the lever?  Or does this sound too much like The Old Piano
>Hospital approach?
>Ed S.

Well, I thought of that.  But the lever is pretty thin near the bottom, and
I really can't see to tell exactly where the contact is happening to start
trimming.  It took a pretty good bit of damper lift reduction (1/8" or more
at the damper head) to get the buzzing to completely disappear, so I'm not
sure carving the lever up would have solved it without creating potential
for making it weak enough to break later on.  It's an idea to try if
nothing else works, though.

Now, one other idea that might work is to thin out the damper lever felt or
replace it with a thinner felt on just this one damper, and then reregulate
the damper wire and spoon.

But I can't figure out why this is the only one doing it.  Even with 1/4"
or more extra lift in the surrounding dampers, I couldn't make any of them
duplicate it.  Has anyone else ever encountered this buzz? on this model?
Jeff