Grammy weighers

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:06:46 -0600

Joe,
	Hey, a 0.5 gm difference is pretty minor if you're after "a quick
evaluation of down weight." I'll try to remember to weigh mine when I get
home tonight. But if they are 50 gm + or - 2 grams or so, that would be
good enough for a quickie. I suppose you _could_ weigh each one and stamp
it on the side as an added attraction for what is already a very useful
tool (I've saved an incredible amount of time in mating hammers to strings
since buying mine). You could even make sure each one weighed "exactly" 50
gm.
	For initial evaluation, I like to do a quickie up-weight as well - see if
each key will lift 25 grams. Or 20. Or 15. Tells you more about the piano
(quickly) than down weight. Put together a ball park of both, and you know
a lot. And the upweight eval is good for finding rubbing parts (like rep
lever against neighboring knuckle, or barely grazing checks) and other
problems.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Monday, June 9, 2003 9:33 AM -0600 Joe And Penny Goss